Presidential Decree No. 997 or PD 997 is a law that confers civil service eligibilities on scientific and technological specialists on the bases of their qualifications and the requirements of public service.
It was created in 1976 by then-President Ferdinand E. Marcos to promote scientific research and invention towards the advancement of science in the country.
In addition, PD 997 was established to give emphasis to scientific and technological programs as well as to recruit more personnel into government service through the issuance of Scientific and Technological (S&T) Specialist Eligibility. S&T Specialist Eligibility is a civil service eligibility
granted to qualified individuals who has highly technical qualifications gained through education and sharpened by research and experience and completed at least a Bachelor's degree in areas enumerated in Section 1 of the Rules and Regulations Implementing the Provisions of PD 997 (Revised 2009).
This eligibility shall be considered appropriate for first and second level positions in the government not covered by Bar, Board and other special laws. Said eligibility also qualifies the grantee for appointment to appropriate government positions in the scientific and technological fields provided said grantee meets all other requirements for appointment thereto.
Who Can Apply?
What Are The Requirements?
- To be conferred Science & Technology Specialist Eligibility, an applicant must have at least a Bachelor's degree in areas enumerated in Section 1 of the IRR (Revised 2009).
- At least three (3) years of continuous experience in research and/or teaching in the pertinent field, provided that the following conditions are further met:
- The applicant must be holding a part-time or full-time teaching position and/or actively doing research at the time of filing the application;
- The teaching experience should be in the academe (College Level at the least) in his/her major field of specialization and academic in nature, leading to a baccalaureate/master/doctorate degree;
Subjects being taught, in case of teaching, must be intermediate or advance in nature as determined by the PD 997 Committee;
- In case of research, the duties/responsibilities/ participation must be technical in nature as determined by the PD 997 Committee;
- Has earned a master's degree with thesis or doctorate degree in any of the fields of study enumerated under Section 1 hereof from a school recognized by the Commission on Higher Education at the time of filing of the application;
- Has a patented invention as certified by Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines.
The following are the requirements to be submitted by the applicant to DOST Regional Offices or the Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) through the PD 997 Secretariat:
- Properly accomplished CS Form 101-C (Revised, Dec. 2011). Fill up all fields, with “n/a” indicated in all fields not applicable to the applicant.
- Three pieces of identical ID pictures taken within the last three months prior to filing of application with specifications, as follows:
- Passport size (4.5 cm x 3.5 cm).
- Printed on quality photo paper;
- In white background;
- In standard close-up shot (from shoulder level up with the head and face occupying at least 80% of the picture and with the name tag positioned below the chin);
- In bare face (without eye glasses/colored contact lens, or any accessory that may cover facial features; facial features not computer-enhanced);
- Showing left and right ears; and
- With full name tag:
- The name tag must legibly show the applicant's signature over complete printed name in the format First Name-Middle Initial-Last Name-Extension Name (if any); and
- The name tag should not be computerized, meaning, the applicant should have his/her picture taken while holding his/her written name tag.
- Assessment fee of PhP200.00 payable to DOST-SEI. Applicants may proceed to the DOST-SEI Cashier Unit for the payment.
- Five (5) copies of each of the following documents:
- Duly certified statement of duties and responsibilities (with official seal and logo);
- Original and photocopies of transcript of records and diploma (undergraduate/graduate/post-graduate, as applicable). The original copy shall be returned to the applicant after authentication of the photocopy;
- Recommendation from head of office or school on the application for PD 997 eligibility, which shall include a statement regarding his/her assessment of the applicant's research or teaching proficiency (with official seal and logo);
- List of S&T subjects taught/being taught and the duration of teaching said subjects, duly certified by the Dean of the school (see form under Downloads) (with official seal and logo); and
- Other documents such as:
- Published research paper/technical reports for concluded scientific research, or progress reports for researches still in progress. The reports must be certified as true copy by authorities to whom the original copies were submitted;
- Certification of research proficiency indicating the title of scientific research project/s the applicant has participated in and the duration and nature of participation and/or responsibilities of the applicant in the research project; and
- Certificate of patented invention, if available
UPON CLAIMING OF CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY (COE)
The following are the requirements to be submitted at the concerned CSC Regional Office, upon claiming of COE:
Where To Submit Application?
- Application receipt (lower portion of the CS Form 101-A, Revised Dec. 2011) provided by DOST-SEI;
- Original and photocopy of any of the following ID cards, which must be valid (not expired) upon claiming of COE and bears the applicant-grantee's name, picture, date of birth (if available) and signature, and the issuing officer's name and signature:
- Office/Company ID
- School ID (must be duly validated for the current school year)
- GSIS UMID
- SSS ID
- Passport (with signature of the applicant)
- Driver's License
- PRC License
- BIR/TIN ID (ATM type/laminated card with picture)
- Police Clearance (with picture)
- Voter's ID
- PhilHealth ID (ATM type)
- Postal ID
- Barangay ID
- Original and photocopy of the Birth Certificate of the applicant authenticated/issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO);
- For female married applicants, original and photocopy of Marriage of Certificate authenticated/issued by the NSO; and
- Certification executed by the applicant that he/she has no pending administrative and/or criminal case before any court/authorized body, and that he/she has never been found guilty/convicted of any administrative offense and/or crime, using the prescribed CSC SPEL Form 1, April 2012; and
- Processing fee of PhP300.00 must be in the form of Postal Money Order borne in the name of the Civil Service Commission Central Office, Batasan Hills, Quezon City.
An applicant may submit the required documents to any of the following:
Science Education Institute
1st and 2nd Levels Science Heritage Building, DOST Compound
Gen. Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig City 1631 Philippines
Contact number : 09777310154 or (02)8775-9005/ (02)8330-8876
Email Address: [email protected]
Or DOST Regional Offices.